Healthier Halloween Treats
Chocolate dipped fruit is a great way to enjoy halloween in a healthier way. They’re so easy to make and a great way to get the kids involved!
Chocolate dipped apples
Makes 12 - various toppings
Prep time: 5 minutes, Cooling time: 25 minutes
- 12 Apples
- 1kg Plain chocolate, chopped
- 12 Wooden lolly sticks
- 75g Chopped roasted peanuts
- 75g Smarties
- 100g Orange sprinkles
- Insert the wooden sticks into the cores of the apples at the base of the apple.
- Melt the chocolate gently in the microwave, stirring frequently until melted.
- Dip apples into the melted chocolate, turning to coat completely.
- Dip or roll in the Smarties, nuts, or sprinkles then place on a sheet of greaseproof paper.
- Repeat with each apple.
- Allow apples to set at room temperature until the chocolate is firm, about 25 minutes, before serving.
Prep time: 10 minutes, Freeze time: 5 hours
- 200g bar white chocolate, broken into chunks
- 4 large, ripe Heritage bananas
- Hand full of chocolate chips for eyes
- In a small bowl, gently melt the chocolate either in the microwave.
- Peel the bananas, cut in half, and push a lolly stick into the middle of each piece. Line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper, and make sure there’s room for the tray in the freezer.
- Using a pastry brush, coat a banana half in chocolate, then set it on the prepared sheet.
- Now add 2 chocolate chips for eyes and 1 for a mouth.
- Freeze the lollies for at least 5 hours.
Chocolate dipped tangerine pumpkins
Prep time: 10 minutes, Cooling time: 25 minutes
- 10 tangerines, peeled
- 250g Milk or Dark chocolate, chopped
- Mint leaves or celery to decorate
- Like with the chocolate dipped apples, melt the chocolate gently in the microwave, stirring frequently until melted.
- Lower a tangerine into the melted chocolate, coating it completely. Using a spoon, scoop it out of the chocolate and place on to a sheet of greaseproof paper, with the base side facing down so it doesn’t roll around.
- Place 1 or 2 mint leaves on the top, coming out of the middle of the segments to look like the stalk of the pumpkin.
- Alternatively, you could use small bits of thinly chopped celery. Repeat with each tangerine.
- Allow them to set at room temperature until the chocolate is firm, about 25 minutes, before serving.