Beef & Vegetable Casserole
- 2 celery sticks, thickly sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, cut into chunks
- 5 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 beef stock cubes
- 600ml hot water
- 850g stewing beef, cut into nice large chunks
- Heat the oven to 160°C/gas 3. Put the celery, onion, carrots, bay and thyme spring in a casserole dish, with the oil and butter.
- Cook until all the ingredients are softened (it should take around 10 minutes). Stir in the flour, followed by the tomato purée, Worcestershire sauce and beef stock.
- Gradually stir in 600ml hot water, then add the beef and bring to a gentle simmer. Cover and put in the oven for 2½ hours, then uncover and cook for 30 minutes to an hour more. The meat should be really tender, and the sauce thick. Serve with potatoes or rice.
Sign up for taste testing, news & competitions
Access keys are keyboard shortcuts for the main links used on this website.
How the keys work varies between platforms and browsers. Most browsers support jumping to specific links by typing the keys defined on the web site.
As a rule, on Windows, you can press ALT + an access key.
On a Mac (OS X), you can press Ctrl + alt (option) + an access key, pressing the enter key will follow a link.
|Page||Key||Windows||Mac (OS X)|
|Access Keys||0||Alt + 0||Ctrl + alt (option) + 0|
|Home||1||Alt + 1||Ctrl + alt (option) + 1|
|Stores||2||Alt + 2||Ctrl + alt (option) + 2|
|Offers||3||Alt + 3||Ctrl + alt (option) + 3|
|Heritage Range||4||Alt + 4||Ctrl + alt (option) + 4|
|Competitions||5||Alt + 5||Ctrl + alt (option) + 5|
|Recipes||6||Alt + 6||Ctrl + alt (option) + 6|
|Our Community||7||Alt + 7||Ctrl + alt (option) + 7|
|Our Approach||8||Alt + 8||Ctrl + alt (option) + 8|
|Contact Us||9||Alt + 9||Ctrl + alt (option) + 9|
|Store Locator||E||Alt + E||Ctrl + alt (option) + E|
|Newsletter||R||Alt + R||Ctrl + alt (option) + R|
|Food||O||Alt + O||Ctrl + alt (option) + O|
Press Esc to close this pop up.