How to Make a Delicious, Simple Two-layer Chocolate Popcorn Cake with Toffee Sauce
This chocolate popcorn cake recipe features two chocolate cake halves, separated by delicious buttercream, topped off with toffee sauce and your choice of popcorn.
After all, who doesn’t love chocolate cake, toffee sauce and popcorn? This mouth-watering recipe combines all three, and is designed with simplicity in mind. Get it below!
- 375g caster sugar
- 225g plain flour
- 65g best quality cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bicarb of soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 250ml milk
- 125ml vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 225ml boiling water
- 175g butter
- 650g icing sugar
- 150ml milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A couple of handfuls of Heritage popcorn (sweet, salty or toffee)
- Toffee sauce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease two 23cm cake tins.
- For the cake, stir together the sugar, flour, cocoa, bicarb, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla, and mix. Stir in the boiling water by hand. Pour evenly into the two prepared tins.
- Bake the cakes for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing cakes from tins to cool completely.
- To make the icing, cream butter until light and fluffy. Stir in the icing sugar then add the milk and vanilla.
- Place one of the cake halves on a serving plate and ice the top of it, then place the second half on top of it, sandwiching them together. Ice the top and outside of the cake.
- Top with your choice of Heritage popcorn.
- Drizzle with toffee sauce (optional) and enjoy.