How To Cook Roast Beef With Gravy: A Simple, Perfectly-seasoned Recipe
What’s the secret to cooking the perfect roast beef? It’s something everyone needs to know - and when you get it right, you’ll be the hero or heroine of your friends and family.
Read on to discover our simple, seven-step solution to a seasoned roast. This recipe uses a delicious gravy made from the roasting juices.
- Joint of Heritage beef
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Heritage crushed garlic
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- Place the joint in a roasting tin and rub the beef with the salt, pepper and garlic
- If your joint of beef is 1-1.5 kg, cook it in the the oven at 240°C/475°F/GAS 9 for 15 minutes then 180°C/350°F/GAS 4 for 1 hr 15 mins for beef that's medium rare in the middle and well done on the ends. If your beef joint is 1.5-2.5 kg add another 15-30 minutes to the cooking time at the lower temperature.
- Remove from the oven and cover with foil - leave for 15-30 minutes
- Pour the roasting juices into a pan and skim off the fat and add four tbsp into a separate saucepan
- Add the flour to the fat and cook over a medium-low heat until the flour is browned
- Slowly add the rest of the juices until the sauce is thickened
- Pour the gravy over the sliced roast and serve up with roasties and veg for a full roast dinner!
Okay, so you might be the king of the roast beef, but what are you without your perfectly-cooked sides?