Delicious Cheesy Baked Leeks
Spring has sprung and one of our favourite greens are back in season! Add some freshness to your plate with these deliciously cheesy leeks!
- 2 large leeks
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil or butter
- 2 heaped tablespoons plain flour
- 400 ml milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 160 g mature cheddar (finely grated and divided)
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350F).
- Finely slice the leeks, or for larger chunks just chop them loosely, wash thoroughly and drain.
- Place a large pan over a low heat, add the oil or butter and melt.
- Add the leeks and cook until fully softened – 10 minutes. Meanwhile, warm the milk so that it is hot but not boiling.
- When the leeks are soft, lower the heat. Add the flour and stir until evenly covered in then pour in the hot milk and mix well.
- Bring to a gentle simmer, add the mustard, ¾ of the cheese and salt and pepper.
- Pour the leeks into an ovenproof dish, sprinkle with the remainder of the cheese and place into the oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and bubbling.