Five-a-Day Veggie Cheddar Lasagne
- 450g butternut squash or sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 large courgette, cut into chunks
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 yellow or red pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small red chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced (optional)
- 500g jar tomato passata
- 8 dried lasagne sheets
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 300ml semi-skimmed milk
- 25g plain flour
- 15g butter
- 75g Cathedral City Mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan oven 180°C.
- Put the butternut squash or sweet potatoes, courgette, red onion and pepper into a large roasting tin and add the olive oil. Season and toss to coat.
- Roast for 25 minutes, until tender.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and chilli (if using), then stir in the pasta sauce.
- Tip half the vegetable mixture into a large rectangular baking dish, measuring about 25 x 20cm. Arrange four lasagne sheets on top. Repeat the layers.
- To make the cheese sauce, put the milk, flour and butter into a saucepan. Heat, whisking constantly with a wire whisk until the sauce boils and thickens.
- Remove from the heat and add half the cheese. Stir, so that the heat of the sauce melts the cheese - there’s no need to return it to the hob. Season.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the lasagne and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake for 30 - 35 minutes, until cooked and golden brown.
- Allow to stand for a few minutes, then serve.
Top tip: Mature Cheddar will give a delicious flavour, but use Extra Mature or Mild if you prefer.
Recipe and photography courtesy of the British Cheese Board.