Make (or buy!) - Shepherd’s Pie
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-3 medium carrots, chopped
- 500g lamb mince
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- Large splash Worcestershire sauce
- 500ml beef stock
- 900g potatoes, cut into chunks
- 85g butter
- 3 tbsp milk
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan, add the onions and carrots and let them soften for a few minutes. Then, when soft, turn up the heat and add the lamb, browning it, and tipping off any excess fat.
- Add the tomato purée and Worcestershire sauce, frying it all together for a few minutes.
- Pour over the stock, bringing it all to a simmer, and then cook and cover it for 40 minutes, uncovering halfway through.
- While this part of the pie is cooking, you can prepare the mash. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Cut your potatoes into quarters, then boil them in salted water for 10 - 15 minutes until tender. Drain them, and then mash, contributing the butter and the milk.
- Put the mince mix in an ovenproof dish, top with the mash and ruffle with a fork. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until the top is starting to colour and the mince is bubbling through the edges. Leave to stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Sounds good to you, but not really feeling the effort tonight? That’s okay - you can always pop down to Nisa and get one of our Heritage Shepherd’s Pies. Simply heat and serve.