Delicious Roasted Spring Chicken and Vegetables
As the days get warmer and evenings get lighter, we move away from the heavier winter dishes and towards lighter ones, made with fresh spring produce. This recipe is so simple, but makes a delicious roast dinner to feed the family any day of the week! Tuck in!
- 1 free-range chicken, about 1.6kg
- 50g butter, softened
- 500g new potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 150g baby carrots, scrubbed or peeled
- 140g podded broad beans
- 100g frozen peas, defrosted
- Handful of chopped mixed herbs
- Heat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6. Put the chicken in a roasting tin and smear the breast and legs with softened butter, being careful not to tear the skin. Season well and roast for 30 minutes.
- Toss the new potatoes with the olive oil and plenty of seasoning. Take the chicken out of the oven, add the potatoes around it and toss with the juices in the tin. Put back in the oven for another 30 minutes.
- Stir the carrots into the potatoes and put back into the oven for another 20 minutes.
- Check the chicken is cooked by piercing the thigh and making sure the juices run clear. Stir the broad beans and peas into the other veg with a little water and put back in the oven for five minutes. Then remove from the oven, cover loosely with foil and rest for 10 minutes.
- Scatter with herbs before serving.