How To Make Vegan-friendly Mexican Bean Rice
Try this spicy Mexican rice dish, packed with protein and veggies and full of flavour! You can also put it in to vegan wraps to make vegan burritos, add some chunky guacamole to it and viola! Read on to get the simple, scrumptious, step-by-step recipe.
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
- 1 Heritage red onion (finely chopped)
- 1 Heritage red pepper
- 1 Heritage green pepper
- 1 Heritage yellow pepper
- 225g of wholegrain brown rice (washed)
- 1 tsp of oregano
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp of paprika
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 carton of cannellini beans (washed and drained)
- 1/2 carton of kidney beans
- 1 small can of Heritage sweetcorn
- 500ml of vegetable stock
- Lightly heat up a little olive oil in a large pan and add the chopped onion, garlic and mixed peppers. Lightly fry for about 3 minutes.
- Add in the wholegrain rice along with the spices and salt. Thoroughly coat the rice with the oil and leave to cook for a few minutes.
- Add in the tomato puree, mix thoroughly and leave to cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour in your vegetable stock, beans, salt and sweetcorn. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer with a lid on for around 25-30 minutes. Make sure the rice doesn't stick to the pan, so stir occasionally and add some extra stock/water if needed.
- When the rice has fully cooked, turn off the heat and leave to stand for 5 minutes then serve.
Why not add some vegan cheese gratings on the top? It makes for a taste sensation!
On the hunt for more vegan dishes? Our Vegan Recipes will no doubt provide plenty of inspiration...