Vegan Mac and Cheese: A Perfect, Easy Recipe
You just can’t beat a big spoonful of good ol’ mac and cheese.
This recipe makes it just how we all like it, but vegan-friendly - extra creamy and cheesy, with that crunchy top. It must be a miracle, right?!
It’s a household classic for a reason. This delicious, vegan alternative that is just as tasty - so no one misses out!
- 350 g dried macaroni
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 1 Heritage onion
- 1 litre unsweetened soya milk
- 100 g dairy-free margarine
- 85 g Heritage plain flour
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- 1½ tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 50 g vegan cheese
- olive oil
- 40 g breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4
- Cook the macaroni according to the packet instructions
- Peel and cut the onion in half then place in a small pan over a medium heat with the milk. Slowly bring to the boil, then remove from the heat. Pick out and discard the onion, then set aside
- Melt the margarine in another pan over a medium heat, then add the flour, stirring continuously until it forms a paste. Gradually add the warm milk a little at a time, whisking continuously until smooth. Bring to the boil, then simmer for around 10 minutes, or until thickened. Stir in the mustard and nutritional yeast flakes, grate and stir in the vegan cheese followed by the salt and pepper
- Drain and add the macaroni to the sauce, mixing all together. Pour the mixture into an ovenproof baking dish
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the pasta.
- Place the dish in the hot oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden
- Leave to stand for around 5 minutes then serve with garlic bread or seasonal greens
Why not add some of the vegan cheese gratings in to the breadcrumbs and sprinkle on the top? That’ll give it an extra golden crunch!
On the hunt for more vegan dishes? Our Vegan Recipes will no doubt provide plenty of inspiration...