How To Make The Most Delicious Carrot Cake
This classic carrot cake is deliciously moist, lightly spiced and topped with heavenly cream cheese icing. A quick and easy recipe to follow, this is the perfect cake for bake sales, celebrations or simply served with a steaming cup of coffee for an afternoon treat.
For the cake:
- 250g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 4 eggs
- 290ml Heritage Vegetable Oil
- 200g sugar
- 200g brown sugar
- 210g carrots; grated
For the topping:
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 8oz cream cheese; softened
- 110g butter, softened
- 400g Icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 160°C and lightly grease a baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine oil, sugars, vanilla, and eggs together and blend well with a electric mixer.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Gradually add the flour mix to the sugar and egg mixture and mix well.
- Stir in the grated carrots and optional pecans; pour into pan/dish and bake for 40 - 45 minutes or until toothpick or fork comes out clean after inserting in the middle of cake.
- Remove from oven to cool off while you prepare frosting.
For the frosting:
- In a medium bowl, mix together softened cream cheese and butter with electric mixer until smooth.
- Gradually add icing sugar mixing well each time.
- Add one tsp vanilla and mix well again.
- Spread evenly on cake.