Hearty Baked Breakfast Eggs
If you can hack the haka, you'll love these tasty baked eggs in a smokey tomato based sauce, otherwise known as Shakshuka. Packed with flavour and veggie goodness, this dish is great for brunch or dinner! Mix up your veg and use up whatever is in your fridge to make a tasty dish that's great for serving large groups.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 rashers smoked bacon, roughly chopped
- 125g mushrooms, quartered
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped into small chunks
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400g tin haricot or cannellini beans, drained
- 2 eggs
- Heat the oil in a large, lidded frying pan over a low heat. Add the onion and cook for until softened.
- Add the bacon, mushrooms, pepper and garlic, turn up the heat and cook for 5 mins.
- Add the paprika, then add the tomatoes and beans. Cover and cook for 8 mins.
- Make 2 wells in the mixture. Break an egg into each space, re-cover and cook over a low heat for 3 mins or until the whites are set but the yolk is still runny.