Delicious creamy root vegetable crumble recipe
Tuck into this tasty crumble stuffed with warming roasted root vegetables, a velvety creamy sauce and a crunchy cheesy topping. Easy to make, this dish is great for all the family and makes a nice change from a Sunday roast or a delicious mid-week meal.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped into big chunks
- 8 mushrooms (optional), chopped into quarters
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 200g plain flour
- 100g butter, softened
- 50g grated cheddar cheese
- A handful of porridge oats
- Pepper for seasoning
- A handful of nuts or seeds (optional)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 400ml milk
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- A handful grated cheddar cheese
Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C.
Chop the vegetables into rough, equally sized chunks.
For the crumble, put the flour into a food processor and add the chunks of butter then mix until they look like breadcrumbs. Add the oats, cheese, pepper and seeds to the mixture and stir then set this aside for later.
For the sauce, melt the butter on a low heat in a large saucepan, being careful not to burn it. Add the garlic and fry slightly, then add the flour and stir. When the mixture thickens, gradually add the milk a little at a time, stirring as you pour to avoid lumps. Add a dash of salt and pepper then the cheese and mix slowly until melted.
Add the chopped vegetables to the sauce and cook gently for five minutes, stirring often. Pour the creamy vegetable mix in to a deep baking dish.
Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the top of the vegetables, covering them right to the edge.
Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until the crumble is golden-brown all over.
Allow it to cool slightly before serving with some green vegetables like broccoli or peas.