Mediterranean tomato salad
- 1250g mixed tomato, small, medium and large (of a variety of colours, if possible!)
- ⅔ red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- A little salt
- Small bunch of parsley, chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 5 tbsp olive oil (1 for drizzling)
- Small garlic clove
- 5 slices of ham (optional)
- 80g parmesan cheese (optional)
Slice the tomatoes and arrange on a platter alongside the onion. Sprinkle with a ½ tbsp of the sugar and a pinch of salt. Leave this to stand whilst you make the dressing.
Tip the ingredients for the dressing (parsley, vinegar, the rest of the sugar, olive oil, garlic and a pinch of salt) into the bowl of a food processor. Blend this up, adding a small amount of water if necessary.
Mix the ham up with the initial tomato and onion platter. Drizzle the dressing on top, finishing by sprinkling the remaining almonds and shaved cheese over. Add a dash of olive oil to finish.