Support from leading institutions
Trade Associations & Professional Bodies working with Nisa to provide complete retailer support.
ACS (the Association of Convenience Stores) is the voice of over 33,500 local shops, supporting retailers through effective lobbying, comprehensive advice and information and innovative networking opportunities; bringing a wealth of benefits to Nisa partners through our ACS membership.
ACS’ core purpose is to lobby Government on the issues that make a difference to local shops, representing the interests of retailers on a range of issues, including business rates, energy, regulation, planning, alcohol and many more.
Nisa’s close relationship with the ACS also enables us to share key industry advice and insights with our partners and grants them free attendance at all ACS events and networking sessions.
SGF (Scottish Grocers Federation) has for over 100 years been at the helm in providing help and support to local convenience and community stores throughout Scotland, to which Nisa partners have access via Nisa’s membership of the SGF.
The SGF strives to ensure the success of retailers’ businesses in whatever way they can, including:
- Working closely with the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government to inform and influence key policy within our sector, as well as working with the UK Government and other organisations throughout Europe to provide the best trading environment possible. This has seen the SGF involved in many policy decisions as well as being in a position to secure funding from the Scottish Government on behalf of its retail members, including Nisa partners.
- Offering a range of advisory services and producing Scottish-specific research and statistics which are playing a vital part in informing and influencing government and parliament.
Running a number of events throughout the year, offering an opportunity for retailers, suppliers and service providers to come together via superb networking opportunities.
Through Nisa, partners also have access to membership of Retail NI (previously NIIRTA) - Northern Ireland's only locally based retail and wholesale business organisation which provides professional advice and gives a voice to the independent sector at the NI Assembly and Westminster.
Retail NI is passionate about campaigning on the future of towns and city centres and ensuring that our independent retail sector gets a fair deal. Our membership supports Nisa partners in a number of ways, including:
- Retail NI Advice Line: providing help on rates, planning, employment, law and many other issues that impact upon your business.
- Networking events with leading political leaders and policy makers.
- Ensuring your voice is heard at Local Councils, Stormont, Westminster and European Parliament. Retail NI has been involved in a number of successful campaigns including leading the campaign for the Small Business Rate Relief scheme to be extended to 6,000 more small businesses and shops, a first year 50% rates holiday for new retailers taking up empty units and many more.
FWD (The Federation of Wholesale Distributors) is the trade association for food and drink wholesalers in the UK and another trade body that Nisa is a member of, again bringing a raft of benefits to our retailer partners.
FWD represents the interests of its members to Government and monitors and advises on policy and legislation, and provides a platform to improve efficiency, understanding and communication between product suppliers, wholesalers and their customers. The group primarily looks at three strategic areas; Representing Wholesale, Promoting Wholesale and Bringing Wholesale Together.
FWD works with Ministers, MPs and Government officials to defend and protect members’ business interests against political and regulatory threats. As the voice of wholesale it speaks for the sector in policy debates, and ensure that Government is aware of any impact that proposed legislation will have.
FWD organises a programme of events to bring the sector together and also chairs a number of ad-hoc committees, bringing the appropriate representatives of member companies together to discuss issues of mutual interest, such as crime, HR, sustainability and how to meet the requirements of impending legislation.
The NFRN enables Nisa and its partners to benefit from a variety of business services resources and support. One of Europe’s largest retail trade associations with membership throughout the UK and Ireland, the NFRN (National Federation of Retail Newsagents) exists to help members compete more effectively in today’s highly competitive market by providing practical help and assistance, commercial support, deals and buying opportunities, training, expertise and services.
The Federation also actively represents its members’ interests at governmental and parliamentary level.
Nisa is a proud supporter of GroceryAid, a charity providing emotional, practical and financial support to those who work in the grocery sector.
GroceryAid is the national charity that helps people across the whole of the grocery industry – from the largest factory, through the supply chain, to the smallest store. The help that GroceryAid offers can make a very real difference and is available to colleagues working in the industry today as well as those who have retired. People experience difficulties in many ways and the charity has developed services to provide a wealth of crisis support, financial assistance and free confidential advice.
The charity’s 24/7 Helpline provides problem solving and emotional support for a range of topics; including relationship support, career advice, basic legal matters, financial advice and debt management, support for carers and health and wellbeing guidance. Specialist counsellors are also available to help those who have been impacted by a critical incident in the workplace.
A wide raft of support is available via the charity to all who work in the grocery industry and Nisa is proud to support their invaluable work.