Skip to content

Hertfordshire Nisa retailer ‘Making a Difference Locally’ with £2,000 donation

An owner of a Nisa Local store in Hertfordshire has shown his commitment to his local community by donating a generous £2,000 through Nisa’s Making a Difference Locally (MADL) charity.

Gagandeep Singh, owner of the store in Hitchin, decided to use his MADL fund, accumulated through customer purchases of Co-op own brand products, to support causes close to his heart. He reached out to the local community via social media, seeking suggestions for worthy recipients and was overwhelmed with nearly 300 responses.

“I was truly touched by the outpouring of support and the diverse range of causes people felt passionate about,” said Singh. “It reinforced my belief in the strength and generosity of our community.”

Gagandeep divided his donation amongst three deserving causes:

- £1,000 to Leonard Cheshire, Hitchin. Leonard Cheshire supports some of the most vulnerable members of society. “They do incredible work caring for those in need, and I’m proud to continue my support for their vital services,” Gagandeep explained.

- £500 to Walsworth Festival. This annual event, held near Gagandeep’s shop, raises funds for a variety of charities. “The Walsworth Festival brings the community together and contributes so much to local good causes. Our donation is an investment in the well-being of our entire community,” he said.

- £500 to a local homeless shelter. Recognising the critical needs of those less fortunate, Gagandeep chose to support a nearby shelter that he has seen firsthand supporting individuals in difficult circumstances. “Everyone deserves a safe haven, and I hope this donation will make a difference in the lives of those who need it most,” he expressed.

Nisa Making a Difference Locally initiative enables independent retailers like Gagandeep to channel their MADL funds directly to community causes they care about.

“Nisa’s MADL initiative makes it easy for us to support the people and organisations that matter most to us,” said Gagandeep. “I encourage other Nisa retailers to get involved and make a positive impact in their own communities.”

Kate Carroll, Head of Charity at Nisa, added: “This generous donation from Gagandeep exemplifies the spirit of community and compassion that defines Hitchin. His commitment to supporting local causes sets a fantastic example and is sure to make a real difference in the lives of many.”

Contact Nisa and Join Today