Cheese, leek & sweet potato risotto
This comforting risotto is great if you want a nutritious dinner without the faff of a lot of steps, it practically cooks itself.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 300g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 300g risotto rice (arborio or carnaroli)
- 200ml dry white wine
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 2 medium leeks, trimmed and sliced
- 75g frozen peas, thawed
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 100g grated cheese, we like parmesan or cheddar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Basil leaves or parsley springs, to garnish
Heat the oil in a large pan and add the sweet potato chunks. Cook over a very low heat for 10 minutes, stirring often.
Add the rice to the pan and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Pour in the wine and bring it to the boil, then add half the stock. Stir well and cook over a medium heat for 10 minutes.
Add the leeks.
Keep cooking until the rice is tender, gradually adding the remaining stock a bit at a time. This can take up to half an hour.
Stir in the peas, parsley and most of the cheese. Season, then serve with more cheese sprinkled on top, garnished with basil or parsley.