Ice cream profiteroles
What you'll need
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into 10 segments
- 2 tbsp whole milk
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 and a half tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 70g flour, sifted
- Some ice cream (amount dependent on amount of profiteroles making)
To make the profiteroles:
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and line with baking paper.
- Beat the eggs and egg white in a measuring cup.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring the butter, milk, water, sugar and salt to a boil.
- Stir until the mixture melts. Immediately remove the saucepan from the heat when the mixture reaches a full boil.
- With a wooden spoon, stir in the flour until combined keep stirring until the mixture clears the side of the pot.
- Return the saucepan to low heat and cook, stirring constantly, for about three minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor and process for about 10 seconds to cool the mixture slightly.
- Gradually add the eggs in a steady stream while the machine is still running. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl, then process for another 30 seconds until a smooth, thick, sticky paste forms.
- Transfer the paste to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch plain tip. Pipe the paste into 1 1/4 - 1 1/2-inch mounds on the prepared baking sheet, spacing them about an inch apart. You should be able to pipe about 24 mounds on the baking sheet.
- Smooth out the surface of the piped dough with a wet finger or with the back of a teaspoon dipped in cold water.
- Bake 15 minutes (do not open the door at all during this time), then reduce the oven temperature to 190°C and continue to bake until golden brown and fairly firm, 8 - 10 minutes longer.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and with a paring knife and cut a 3/4-inch slit into the side of each puff to release steam.
- Return the puffs to the oven, turn off the oven and prop open the door. Dry the puffs in the oven until the centers are just moist and the puffs are crispy for about 45 minutes.
- Transfer the puffs to a wire rack to cool. Fill them with your favourite filling! One's recommended below.
For a quick and easy ice cream filling:
- Freeze a parchment lined tray until chilled. Use a two-inch ice cream scoop to form ice cream balls. They should be about the same diameter as the puffs. Place them on the chilled parchment lined tray.
- Cover the ice cream with plastic wrap and freeze.
- Split the pastries and place a scoop of ice cream on the bottom. Put the tops on. Drizzle on some chocolate sauce or caramel sauce if you prefer.