Pulled BBQ chicken sandwiches
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion; chopped
- 3 cloves garlic; minced
- 1 (14-ounce) can low-sodium tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 5 tablespoons molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 whole rotisserie chicken; skin removed, meat shredded into thin strips (about 4 to 4 1/2 cups)
- 6 whole-wheat hamburger rolls
- 6 large green lettuce leaves
Heat the oil on a medium heat in a large pan and add the onion. Cook until soft then add the garlic.
Add the tomato sauce, puree, vinegar, molasses, pepper, liquid smoke and water then bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the chicken and simmer for 10 minutes.
Slice the bread and add lettuce to each roll. Add the chicken evenly between each roll and serve.