Sweet Potato Curry
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 - 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 200g fresh spinach, washed, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 (400g) tin chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 125ml water
- 1 (400g) tin chopped tomatoes, can substitute fresh if available
- Chopped fresh coriander, for garnish
- Basmati rice or brown rice, for serving
Steam or part boil or bake the sweet potatoes.
While sweet potatoes cook, heat 1 - 2 tsp of olive or vegetable oil over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 2 - 3 minutes, or until they begin to soften.
Add the curry powder, cumin, and cinnamon, and stir to coat the onions evenly with the spices. Add tomatoes with their juices, and the chickpeas, stir to combine.
Add the water and raise heat up to a strong simmer for about a minute or two.
Next, add the fresh spinach, a couple handfuls at a time, stirring to coat with cooking liquid. When all the spinach is added to the pan, cover and simmer until just wilted, which should take about three minutes.
Add the cooked sweet potatoes to the liquid, and stir to coat. Simmer for another 3 - 5 minutes until the sweet potatoes are cooked.
Transfer to serving dish, toss with fresh coriander.
Serve hot over basmati or brown rice.